Why Does Your Body’s Immune System Matter?From the Latin term, ‘immunis’ meaning ‘free’, the immune system’s role is to protect us and keep us free from the microbes in our environment. Our immune system has a central role as our defence system. It is the dynamic communication between different body systems which enables the immune system to recognise and remember pathogenic cells, so they can eradicate them quickly. A well-functioning immune system has the ability to protect us, while leaving our own healthy cells alone.
The immune system can recognize millions of different antigens and it can produce what it needs to eradicate nearly all of them. When it’s working properly, this elaborate defence system can keep health problems at bay. Regular exercise keeps your immune system humming and your skin healthy and glowing, too. Unlike the heart, the lymphatic system does not have a pump and relies on the movement of your body to keep it flowing. When the lymphatic system is congested, waste can build up in the tissue of our body and cause rashes, blemishes, and irritation. Our immune system can be put under stress at any time of the year however it is during winter that there is not only a drop in temperature, but also a rise in illness. A strong immune system can protect us from illness throughout the year and help us to recover sooner, should we catch anything.
Want to Support Your Immune System?Try Good Health’s 5 Steps to Support your Immune Health:
1. Hydrate, Hydrate, Hydrate!Water transports nutrients around the body helping to regulate our temperature, aid digestion and flush out toxins. An essential nutrient, water keeps our skin, tissues, organs and cells lubricated in the body. Keeping hydrated also helps the brain to function and reduces drowsiness. It is important that we are drinking around 2 litres of water each day and more if you are consuming caffeine.
2. Incorporate Regular Exercise into Your RoutineResearch suggests regular exercise helps to reduce the number infections we face each year, not only because it helps to strengthen our immune system, but it helps to flush toxins from the body too. Exercise helps to oxygenate the lungs while improving circulation, it can also help boost energy levels and assist with sleep. Moving your body is one of the simplest ways to connected with yourself. If you are feeling overwhelmed, it is best to avoid strenuous exercise as this can put your immune system under more pressure.
3. Aim for 7-9 Hours of High-Quality SleepIf we do not receive adequate sleep each night, not only is our mood and cognition compromised, but our immune system is also. It is during sleep that our cells undergo repair, making sleep crucial for everyday function. Aim for 7-9 hours of sleep per night so that your immune system can function optimally, and you can feel your best.
4. Eat Animal-Based“Eating a rainbow plate” has often been the advice for immune function but there is very little scientific evidence to support this as a blanket statement; however, many plant foods do contain actives like polyphenols which support healthy oxidative processes in the body – berries and citrus fruits are especially rich in these compounds. Full of nutrients and even antioxidants, animal foods contain the full spectrum of macro and micronutrients to nourish the immune system. Animal fats support the lipid transport system in the blood and this forms part of our immune defences. Plant foods can provide a top up of nutrients that are important for supporting the immune system. Eating seasonal and local whole foods from both animal and plant sources will offer a nutrient dense plate for strong immune support.
5. Look to Nature for Extra SupportHerbs such as olive leaf, cat’s claw and echinacea help to support the immune system by supporting the body’s defences and aiding recovery. Herbs can provide extra support for someone wanting to support their immune system and offer an array of mutual benefits such as antioxidant effects. If you need additional support for your immune system, try incorporating one of the following Good Health products into your supplement routine:
ViralexFor everyday support to support a depleted immune system for ills and chills, try Good Health’s most recognisable and celebrated product range—Viralex. Viralex is a comprehensive formula designed to support the body’s defences by supporting the immune system. The high strength ingredients of Olive Leaf, Astraglalus, Beta Glucan, Zinc and Vitamin D combine to provide year-round immune support.
Viralex AttackSupporting a rapid immune response to challenges towards the body’s immune system, Viralex Attack’s unique ingredient EpiCor® starts working in two hours. Along with other key ingredients, Olive Leaf, Pelargonium Root, and Zinc, that support the body’s natural immune defences for optimal health and wellbeing.
Viralex Kids Immune ChewsGood Health Viralex Kids Immune Chews are specially formulated to support children’s immune system with scientifically researched Wellmune® for fewer days off day care and school. Viralex Kids Immune Chews help to support children’s immune systems and further supports their immune restoration.
Pannex ImmuneFor short- and long-term immune comfort to support a calm immune system, try the Immune product in the new Pannex range. Pannex Immune is a cutting-edge immune and sinus comfort formulation containing scientifically research Levagen®+ and Cat’s Claw. Levagen+ has been extensively researched and has shown to support comfort during immune system challenges such as ills and chills and congestion, providing both short term and continual support. Combined with Cat’s Claw, traditionally used to provide significant antioxidant support for sinus comfort and congestion, Pannex Immune supports a calm immune system. To learn more about supporting your sleep, here are some additional helpful resources from the health and wellness experts at Good Health: Prepare your immune system, before winter arrives The powerful role of self-defence: why we shouldn’t take our immune system for granted Herbal antibiotics: fighting infections naturally Protect your kids this winter: 7 germ-fighting strategies Always read the label and use as directed. If symptoms persist see your healthcare professional. Good Health, Auckland. TAPS PP8917
What should I eat to support my immune system?To support your immune system, focus on a balanced diet, including animal-based and plant foods rich in nutrients, while incorporating antioxidants from sources like berries and citrus fruits.
What Good Health products can I incorporate for immune support?You can consider incorporating immune support products like the Viralex range and Pannex Immune from Good Health, which contain ingredients like Olive Leaf, Astragalus, Cat’s Claw, and more to boost your immune system.